Mika - An Alaskan Malamute

Mika - An Alaskan Malamute
Mika watching a squirrel in our backyard. January 10, 2011

Mika is a Moonsong Malamute Rescue Dog

Please read the first two Blog posts (In the Blog Archive on January 21) for details about Mika's amazing "Miracle" rescue.

Note! Mika has been adopted. I will miss her.

Friday, January 21, 2011

March 6, 2010 - How Mika was saved (reply message from the shelter)

"I had actually given her a pre-anesthesia shot to sedate her for the ‘finale’ injection… but I had a customer come in to our facility and was not able to get back to Mika until she had come out of the pre-anesthesia shot and was standing there wagging her tail at me… I just couldn’t do it…"

Hello Katy and Kim,

You asked if this dog was in any “danger”……  Well… I would have to say this dog is one of the MOST LUCKY dogs around…  you see… Her ‘day’ was actually this last Friday. She was scheduled to be euthanized after her owner didn’t want her back and she had been here for OVER 30 THIRTY days!!!! (and yes she was listed on Petfinders after we knew her owners couldn’t have her back)

As you must know… 30 days in a County Shelter is almost unheard of - this due to the high number of dogs coming in our Shelter. As an open door admission facility, we must take in any and all animals brought to us.. be it strays, surrenders etc… We will not over crowd or “ware-house” animals here as it only leads to over crowded and stressed dogs which in turn leads to disease outbreaks etc.

This girl has lead a charmed life… First for coming to OUR Shelter and then for being able to house her for over 30 days… then as I said…she was up for euthanasia on Friday. I had actually given her a pre-anesthesia shot to sedate her for the ‘finale’ injection… but I had a customer come in to our facility and was not able to get back to Mika until she had come out of the pre-anesthesia shot and was standing there wagging her tail at me… I just couldn’t do it...   I have had such a horrible week dealing with “stuff”….so with tears in my eyes…. I decided to ‘wait’ until next Monday to euthanize her. I even put her back on Petfinders just to give her a few more days….

It is just about as close to a miracle as you can get that you Katy contacted us!!!!!!!!!!

The next time someone says that Animal Control Officers have no feelings… remember this.

So I would guess you could say… this dog NEEDS PLACEMENT RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!

Judy,
Animal Control Supervisor

No comments:

Post a Comment